Welcome to the Patchwork Blog! I hope you enjoy reading my random thoughts about life, Jesus and the freedom he offers.

Friday 23 May 2014

Good News!!

Psalm 113
This is the view from the clifftops near my home! 
When I wrote my post about Trusting God in difficult times at the beginning of this week, I didn't expect the hoped-for change in my circumstances to happen so soon.

But today at lunch time I was offered a regular 20 hours at my locum/part time job. I was delighted as it would give me an income equal to that of jobseekers amount. I was so pleased.
But the good news didn’t end there. A couple of hours later due to a change that work had not entirely predicted, they offered me a full time post for at least 3 months, and hopefully longer! So I started this week feeling down about my prospect and I end it on a high with a full time job that I have already been doing part time and which I love.

It is such a weight off my shoulders. I didn't like being on jobseekers at all. Although through my part time work (which I declare to the jobcentre) I was earning a good deal of what I received it still was unpleasant having to go to the jobcentre to sign on. I wanted to work and support myself.
I praise God that He has now enabled me to stay in this job. I am working as a receptionist at a GP surgery near to my home – I have a 3 minute walk to work in the morning!
Mind you, I have learned so much about myself and about God in the last year that I can’t really regret it. I am a far more content person that I was and that is despite difficult circumstances. Maybe I am just beginning (I have a long long way to go) to understand what Paul meant in these verses from Philippians.
“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” Philippians 4:12-13
And it feels good, very good.

2 comments:

  1. Lynda, I recently read your book, 'He Never Let Go' and as I commented on twitter, it has been very helpful. I have continue to think about it and how you're doing. I was sorry to read in your blog that things had gotten tough for you for a while but, very happy to read that you now have a full-time job. Remembering what you said about taking that leap of faith and with the help of my weekly Christian counselling, I wake each day and make a simple choice. Today, I will place my identity in Christ. Some days, it's tougher than others but, defying the scars of my brethren upbringing, I am going with it being a daily choice and a daily battle. I often ask of the story of the prodigal son, 'What happened next?'. I was chaplain to a Boys' Brigade camp a few years ago, and after looking at the story of the prodigal son all week, I thought for the last evening, I'd get each tent to perform a drama entitled 'What Happened Next?'. This revealed their grasp of the original story with hilarious results. Strangely, the older brother seemed to feature far more in the sequels and would now be serving life at one of Her Majesty's time-shares.. Being in the 'What happened next?' chapter of my faith journey has been tough but, God has been faithful. His faithfulness landed a magazine article, on you and your book, in my lap at just the right time. Your blog would make another another good book too, I'm sure. God Bless all things Alsford.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Craig, Very kind to say nice things about my book again. I think that question is an excellent one, 'what happened next?' in the story of the prodigal son. It is left hanging rather in that we don't know how the older brother reacts to his father's last talk with him. I like to think he turns back to his father and sees how much he is loved. I do so wish I could have seen those dramas! :-)

    Things are much better now for me. I had a week of wobbling a bit about things on the job front but God is faithful. WIthin days of my wobble I was offered 3 months full time work on a locum basis. I love working at the GP surgery I work at now. I have been there since last summer on a part time, locum basis but am now on 3 months of full time locum work with a review of my hours after that. I know it is where I am meant to be at the moment.

    God bless you in your walk with Him. Remember each day how very very deeply you are loved by our Father in heaven.

    ReplyDelete